Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book Choice Of The Moment: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles

If you are looking for something to read, look no further. I have supplied you with your next favorite book. My new friend Nicole in 102C pulled this book out of her bag no less than one week ago, and recommended I read it. I was at the moment, for the first time since starting UCI, bookless. I ventured after class to the only book store in the vicinity of my vapid neighborhood, and purchased this lovely novel by 61 year old Japanese writer, Haruki Murakami. One week later I have devoured more than half of this six hundred page novel. It is a remarkable story of one man who faces a transitional phase in his life. That is the most conventional way I can describe the book, and if you read it you will understand what I mean. There is no way to properly tell someone what happens in these pages, nor what happens to one who reads it. It has a dream like quality to it that leaves you questioning the very reality in which you inhabit. I have not been this in love with a book since Janet Fitch's Paint it Black. For those of you that know me well, you know what a bold claim I am making here. I know we all lead busy lives but reading a book like this should not be something that falls to the wayside. I promise once you have begun you will find the time to continue, I know I have.

No comments: